Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Guitar Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

Handmade Batguitar
Today someone pointed out the Batguitar for sale on eBay  I thought, "h'mmm.  That's interesting. I wouldn't want it, but it is interesting and handmade."  Then I saw the price.  Oh sure, it  probably comes with a utility belt guitar strap, but the seller is asking $65,000 Canadian for it.

I don't think so, eh?

So I thought it would be interesting to see what other outrageously expensive guitars are being offered on eBay.

So I present Guitar Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

1956 Stratocaster
Here is a 1956 Fender Stratocaster.  It is in excellent shape. So is the case.  The serial number is 06673. Asking price is a  mere $42,000 U.S. dollars.





I can't imagine gigging with a $42,000 guitar. I'd spend the whole night worrying about it being stolen.

1960 Gibson Cherryburst

Lo and behold, the most desirable of all Gibson electrics; the holy grail if you will; a 1960 Gibson 'burst.  Not only in cherry-burst, but in cherry condition, as we used to say in the 1960's.  Yep, I'm vintage too.

The guitar comes with a vintage case in great condition, hang tags, ancient strings, warranty and original polishing cloth.  Get out your Visa card.  The seller would like $325,000 for this puppy.

Barney Kessel Collection
Next up is a collection of Barney Kessel's instruments the seller claims Mr. Kessel used in the studio.  There is a 1960 Barney Kessel Kay guitar, Barney Kessel's 1959 Danelectro bass and his circa 1940's Gibson BR-3 amplifier.

For you, such a bargain at $135,000. But I bet they would take $134,995.

1957 Gold Top


Norm's Rare Guitars in Los Angeles is a most reputable shop.  They know guitars at Norms. However I do not think I can scrape together $98,000 U.S. to get this most excellent 1957 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop with original case and hang tags. There is some slight wear on the back, but sorry Norm, I'm going to have to take a pass.

Pearly Gates Replica


This guitar is a puzzler.  It's a Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates replica.  For $40,000 U.S.  For real!   It comes with a genuine signed picture of the Reverend and it's relic'd by the Gibson Custom Shop.


But...it is a replica!  For 40 grand!  No thanks.


EVH Charvel
Heck, for only $25,000 U.S. you could buy a genuine Charvel Eddy Van Halen Frankenstrat, autographed and played by the man himself and in the original case.


eBay Harrison Tele
But wait! There's more!  This seller is advertising a 1968 Fender Rosewood Telecaster Original Harrison.  They allude it to be a Harrison.

I am aware that Fender gave George a Rosewood Telecaster in 1968. This guitar was ordered by then Fender head designer Roger Rossmeisl and custom made by noted luthier Philip Kubicki. Harrison gave it away to Delaney Bramlett. The seller wants GBP18,999, which equates to about $30,000 U.S.

Harrison's actual Tele
On closely examining the wood grain and comparing it to the grain on Harrison's actual instrument, I'm not certain the eBay guitar actually belonged to George Harrison.  Click on the pictures and compare.  Look at the wood on the lower bout of each where you would rest your arm.  I may be wrong. This is only my opinion.


So much for Guitar Life Styles of the Rich and Famous, and dreams of guitars I cannot afford.  But I've got my eye set on a sweet Hello Kitty 00-21. $39.95 with free shipping.




 


1 comment:

guitar picks said...

This is such a very interesting post. I know not much about guitars and this information just added o my knowledge. Anyway, these guitars are all amazing! One will certainly enjoy playing or gigging with not only an expensive guitar but also an instrument that has a story to tell. Thank you for posting.